Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Marathon Training Wk 6...Long Run in Aggieland!


Workout  # 20 was my do-over for the 10 miler that was supposed to have happened last week. I was really pumped about this run because I was going to run in one of my favorite places in the whole state of Texas—Texas A&M University Campus!
 
I made sure to get up early in order to try to beat the heat so I got up around 6:30 and was out the door around 7.  I drove to campus, found a parking spot and headed out on my running tour of campus (it was a little before 7:30 when I started).  My plan was just to stay at a comfortable pace and enjoy the run. My pace stayed pretty constant (around 11:30 min/mile) for the first 7 miles. Around mile 7, I could tell I was getting tired and it was starting to feel hotter (the humidity was bad too…around 80%!) so I started taking walk breaks. I wouldn’t walk for long, just enough to take in fluids catch my breath and then I was off again. I continued like this until I finished.

About to head out!

Check out my new pink running shoes!

Welcome to Aggieland!!! WHOOP!

Research Park!

I love the sight of Kyle Field in the morning! (I can't wait for football season!)

By the Association of Former Students Building

Coming up the main drive to campus

I had to share this. I didn't even notice this until my husband was asking me about my calorie burn for my run. For those that do not know, I graduated from Texas A&M in 2003. Class of '03...WHOOP!!! I don't think I could have stopped my watch like this if I would have tried. And to add another '03 to the mix...I ran 10.03 miles!


Looking at the data, miles 7, 9 and 10 were my slowest (which is also where I walked more).
I really need to figure out how do deal with this heat as well as my night before nutrition. Running in the summer has never been a problem for me because I was usually doing 3-5 miles with most of those runs starting before sunrise. I know I should probably start my long runs before the sun comes up but that involves REALLY early mornings.  When I run 3-5 miles, I can just get out of bed and go do my run without eating anything until I get back. This worked well for me because I take a thyroid medicine that requires me to wait 30-60 minutes before I eat anything (if I eat first, I have to wait 4 hours after eating in order to take it). Not eating anything before a long run is not an option though. The other issue I have is I cannot run on a full stomach. I have to wait at least 30 minutes or longer after I eat in order to go run or I have stomach issues. I know…it is just a mess! I know it will get worked out; it is just finding what works best for me and that is going to take practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment