Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Marathon Training Wk 5...My FASTEST run EVER!


Workout # 17 was a 35 minute tempo run. Due to us going out of town for the weekend, I had to run this workout early Friday morning.  I decided to do my usual 3 mile route at the park by my house with a little extra tacked onto the end to make up the last few minutes.  My fastest 5K time is 32:14 (10:23 min/mile pace) but more recesntly I have been running around 34 minute 5Ks.

I started my run off by slowly increasing my pace through the first half mile or so until I was running at a pace that was a little more than my comfortable pace. Basically, I could not have had a conversation with you but I could have answered quick yes or no questions. I was able to continue this pace through the rest of mile 1, all of mile 2 and mile 3. When I got to the 3 mile mark, I looked at my watch and it of course had not been 35 minutes yet so I ran for a couple more minutes. I stopped my GPS app (I use mapmyfitness) and my watch and then continued on doing my cool down. When I took a closer look at map my fitness, I saw that I had just run 3.51 miles in 34:54! That, my friends, is an average pace of 9:56 minutes per mile! I just ran SUB 10 minute miles and smoked my 5K PR!

WOW! (There is a little discrepantly between my watch and mapmyfitness because I start my watch before I start the mapping program)

Holy Moly!! I can't even believe that I just ran that fast!
I had no idea I had it in me! You see, I have been secretly (guess it isn’t a secret anymore) wishing for an average pace of 10:30-11:00 for my marathon in December and I just ran SUB 10’s! While I completely understand that a 5K pace is different than a marathon pace, it hadn’t even occurred to me to think I could run that fast! This run was definitely a milestone for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment