171 days until the Dallas Marathon which also means that I
just finished Week 5 of my training! Here’s how it went:
Workout #14: 5.27 Mile Run – I ended up doing this run in
the evening at a park by my house. When I headed out, I really thought that
this run was not only going to be a wet one but I was wondering if I was going
to make it back to my truck before the sun completely set. It ended up only
sprinkling on me at the very beginning of my run and I made it back to the
truck before it was too dark. I ran these miles in 1:00:28.
 |
| Those are some big rain clouds coming in! |
 |
| The little pond at the park. |
Workout #15: 9.33 Mile Run – For my long run this week, my
husband and kids accompanied me to one of my favorite places in the Dallas area
– White Rock Lake. I love running along the lake because it is so peaceful and
beautiful. It is also a great place to do a 9 mile run because one loop around
the lake is 9.33 miles! While we were loading up the truck, it started
sprinkling. I ignored it and figured it would pass (of course I didn’t think to
look at the weather radar) and we headed towards the lake. As we were driving,
the rain picked up from a sprinkle to a slow and steady rain (the kind we
need around here!) and I thought, well, I guess I am going to get practice
running in the rain because I am going to do these 9 miles rain or no rain!
We made it to the area that we normally park and I headed off on my run. Scott had decided that he and the kids would drive ahead in order to meet up with me along my route. My plan for this run was to take it slow and easy in order to “protect” my knee. I had skipped my 3 mile pace run that was supposed to happen on Friday because of a little twinge in my left knee in order to focus on my long run.
 |
| Coming into Mile 2 |
 |
| Reading by flashlight while waiting on Momma |
 |
| Acting silly while waiting on Momma |
 |
| Around Mile 6 |
 |
| Around Mile 7...Scott and AMC were waiting on the trail to meet me with high fives and hugs! (ARC was in the car not wanting to get wet :-P) |
 |
| About Mile 7.5 |
 |
| Mile 8! |
 |
| Waiting for me at the finish! They were even clapping and cheering! |
 |
| Playing while Momma is stretching |
 |
| 2 of my support crew! I LOVE these kiddos! |
 |
| 9 miles...in the rain...DONE! |
It ended up raining the ENTIRE time I was out on my run (Can I just say running in the rain, definitely makes me feel like a bad ass!). Between running in the rain and
my husband and kiddos who were so supportive and enduring it with me, I was definitely on a runner's high afterwards! I must be a
pretty lucky girl to have my family wait on me in the rain just to cheer me on
during a training run!
I ended up finishing my 9 miles in 1:47:21 (which is
11:31 min/mile). I actually felt like I could have continued running for
several more miles when I stopped and I felt NO twinges in my knee during or
after my run so I definitely feel better about skipping that 3 mile run. I will
continue monitoring my knee and make sure that I am stretching and foam
rolling. I also believe a new pair of shoes is in order (mine currently have
about 280 miles on them) so I am putting that on my list of things to do!
Even with an extra rest day thrown in there, I really feel like I rocked Week 5. Now, let's bring on Week 6!
No comments:
Post a Comment