Thursday, June 27, 2019

It is not if you fall, it is about getting back up

So many times throughout the past several years, I have set goals for myself (some pretty lofty, such as running the Boston Marathon or going to PT school). Sometimes I achieve them, and sometimes I fall short for one reason or another. The thing that seems to reveal itself over and over is that I have yet to completely give up. Some people call that persistence, others call it stubbornness or even a little crazy. To me though, it is a little of all of that.

When you set a goal for yourself, no matter what it is, you are going to have bad days/weeks/months and maybe years where things do not fall into place like they should. There are going to be speed bumps (or mountains) that you are going to have to climb or gusts of wind that are going to derail you from your course but the important thing is that you overcome those obstacles and keep moving forward. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, pull up your big girl panties (whatever you want to tell yourself) and keep on going. Perfectly executing plans is not how you find out what you are made of. There are going to be hiccups along the way and it is how you deal with those and what you do afterwards where you really figure it out.                                   

Over the past couple months, I have been training to fully run (no walking intervals) a 5K again with the goal of completing my 2nd marathon in 2020. Some "stuff" happened (nothing major, just a bunch of little things) these past 2 weeks that kept me from completing my workouts. This morning though, armed with a brand new pair of Fightin' Texas Aggie maroon running shoes, I went out for my scheduled 2 mile run and completed it.



Between now and race day, I have 3 run days scheduled as well as cross training. My goal is to continue moving forward and on July 6, I will toe the line of my 5K race and put all the training that I have completed over the past 12 weeks to the test. No matter how the race plays out, I will focus on the fact that even though I may have missed a few workouts, I continued to push forward to achieve my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment