On February 2nd, I ran my 19th (WOW…19!!) half marathon at the Rock & Roll New Orleans Marathon. I finished with an official time of 2:51:45 (a time that is neither my fastest nor slowest).
The weekend started with my flight to New Orleans and
getting to our hotel. Once my friend and I checked our bags into our hotel, we
took to the streets of the French Quarter to find lunch and go to the expo.
I made the mistake of keeping my flip-flops on while we were
walking around and by the time we returned to our room after packet pick up, I
was feeling the twinge of my runners’ knee. I immediately switched to my
sneakers for our walk to find dinner.
In line for dinner at Coop's Place
Walking around Jackson Square
Up early & ready to run!
I started running with a little more effort than my
comfortable pace requires just like I have done before on my faster runs (about
11:00-11:15 per mile). When I got to the first mile marker, I looked at my
watch and saw 11:35. I was so confused by this because my effort level usually
produces a faster pace than that. I honestly thought the mile marker was off.
I continued running at the same pace/effort level and
continued to feel like I was not getting anywhere fast. This should have been
my first clue that this might not be my PR race.
When I got to about mile 8, I started to feel uneasiness in
my stomach. I was able to focus elsewhere for the next couple of miles but had
to stop around mile 10 and walk. I was hoping that the walking would calm my stomach
but it did not and I found myself on the potty watching my PR tick by.
Luckly, I felt better after that but when I tried running
again, my left knee (same knee as the night before) was hurting and angry with
me so walking it was. However, I did manage to run most of the last mile and
across the finish line
2 Finishers on the bus back to the hotel!
Looking at my splits, I basically lost my race in the last
5K. I probably would not of PRed but I would have had a time close to my
current PR if it weren’t for the potty break and the walking.
Looking back, I definitely feel that all the walking the day
before (especially in flip-flops) caused me to start my race on already tired
legs and a mad knee. The tummy issues are still a mystery. I have never had
that happen before and I did my best to eat pretty basic the day before and
morning of the race.
I am not mad or upset at the outcome because it was a
learning experience and the tummy thing was out of my control. Besides all of
that, I really enjoyed spending time with my good friend that I had not seen in
about 2 years and I was able to explore a city I have never been to and those
are priceless experiences.






No comments:
Post a Comment